Key differences between an outdoor electrical socket and a regular socket
- Regular sockets are integrated into the wall whereas outdoor sockets are mostly mounted on the wall.
- Outdoor sockets come with a protective coating. You can close the cover when the cables are plugged inside. A regular socket doesn’t have such covers.
- As compared to regular sockets, outdoor sockets have a higher IP rating.
- The usually IP rating for indoor sockets is IP22, while outdoor sockets mostly have a score of IP66.
- Outdoor sockets are meant to withstand harsh weather conditions like strong winds, rain, dust and UV light. Indoor sockets are not that robust and they cannot withstand challenging environments.